Who We Help
Be FREE YC helps young carers in Oxfordshire aged between 8 to 18 and young adult carers aged 18 to 25
Young People (8-25Yrs)
You are a young carer if you are under the age of 18 who are caring for a family member. Care can be practical support but also can be emotional support.
Many young carers experience anxiety and stress as a result of their caring roles.
Be Free YC helps reduce these feelings by providing:
- Practical and emotional support. Supporting young carers to sustain their caring roles and manage the impacts caring may have on their life, education, prospects;
- Social opportunities (trips/activities). Reducing the isolation many young carers experience;
- Training events. To increase the confidence of young carers in undertaking their caring roles;
- Befriending. Being able to talk to someone about your concerns, helping to reduce your anxiety.
- Young Carers Leisure Card. Discounted pay and play activities at local leisure centres, in partnership with BETTER Leisure
Information for parents
Be Free YC arranges trips, activities and training for young carers. Details of our trips, activities and training events are posted to young carers quarterly with our Young Carers Newsletter together with booking, medical and parental consent forms. We try to accommodate everyone’s choices and always encourage young carers’ suggestions and ideas for new trips and activities.
The safety and well-being of the young people we support is our top priority. Be Free YC has been supporting young carers for over 20 years, providing emotional and practical support across Southern Oxfordshire.
The quality of our service is very important to us. At Be Free YC all staff, volunteers and Trustees are DBS checked every two years. Our friendly staff and volunteer team are very experienced and receive regular training and professional development in such areas as safeguarding, health and safety and other areas of engaging positively with young people. We are dedicated to improving the lives and well-being of young carers.